Style your Strut
June 03, 2014
Ok, I admit it. Every single year I get a bit stumped about what to get for my dad on Father's Day. What do you get that reflects how you feel without being sappy, or phony or cheesy?
I finally hit the nail on the head last year (no, I did not get him a hammer), and decided to hand make him a hammered and stamped "Love ya, Dad" aluminum keychain. Perfect! I offered them up to my clients and everyone loved them, so I decided to bring them back this year. There's only a few left, so grab one while you can!
We also do tons of custom requests, so contact us for details!
May 22, 2014
- Remember to breathe. Most of us are pretty unaware of our breath. We spend time in front of the computer or our work tables so completely absorbed in our stuff that we tend to lose touch with our physical selves. Try to take a few seconds every so often during the day to check in with yourself and gently focus on your breath. You can even set a reminder on your smart phone (I definitely do this!). Breathe deep into your belly for a count of five, then release your breath slowly through your nose. Repeat five times. Notice your renewed focus and sense of peace. It's kind of amazing.
- Pay attention to nature. I completely love nature and wish I lived in the country. But I don't. I have to consciously look around my city-scape to find bits of green grass and the odd squirrel (and yes, some of them are pretty odd). I've managed to find some beautiful natural places hiding all over the city, and consciously make an effort to connect with those places during my week, even just for 10 minutes. Paying attention to the nature that is around me keeps me centered and grateful for what's there, instead of focused on what's missing.
- Practice gratitude. I'm not going to lie here, this can be a hard one. Some days things aren't going so great and finding something to be grateful for seems elusive. The biggest lesson I've learned about gratitude is that you can start small. Like really tiny. Like, "I'm grateful for how comfortable my bed is" small. It's all about a tiny shift in your perception and awareness that slowly leads you to a habit where you just start looking for things to be grateful for. Also kind of amazing.
Post your comments below about what you do to stay centered.
May 07, 2014
Loves, planning a wedding is hard work! Don't let the stress of organizing, tracking and managing every single detail get you down. Here's our 3 top tips for making sure everything goes smoothly.
- Make it personal. We've all been to cookie-cutter weddings. You know the ones I'm talking about, right? It's hard to even remember what anything looked like, let alone what happened. It's because nothing stood out as personal to the couple. Great weddings showcase your unique personality and your kick-ass awesome style. Trust your gut and incorporate some crazy touches. Love Game of Thrones? Make your head table look like a medieval harvest feast. Head over heels about nature and the outdoors? Have your ceremony in the woods in front of your favorite grove of maple trees. You can't go wrong when you make it true to you.
- Know what to delegate to professionals. Be realistic about what you can do yourself and what you need help with. You do not want to stress yourself out here. I repeat, put the brakes on the stress. This is a really exciting and busy time, and you may have to take an honest look at how much you're taking on. The goal is to celebrate your union, not to start a second career as a Pinterest-level wedding planner in your spare time (though if that's really what you want to do, go get it, girl!). Wedding-industry professionals come in all different styles and budgets, and are trained to take some of your to-do list off your iPhone for you. Use them!
- Stick to your budget. There may come a moment during the process where blowing your budget will seem like the only way to get what you really want. Trust me, it's not. The post-budget-blowing hangover will feel awful, you may end up thinking it wasn't really worth it anyway, and you don't want negative emotions associated with your amazing, love-filled day. You just don't. So make that budget and commit to it, and work with professionals who are willing to work within the bounds of your finances. There are tons of us out there.
We love our brides! Contact us for info about custom work for your special day.
April 23, 2014
- Forgetting to call or to spend time with Mom. It's so easy to take a few minutes if you're far away to call and tell her you're thinking about her. If you're lucky and live close by, plan a special outing or cook her favourite meal. Mark it in your calendar and set up an alert so you will be reminded. She will appreciate it so much!
- Not being grateful for all she's done for you. Even if you don't have the best of relationships with your Mom, she did a heck of a job raising you. I mean, you're pretty awesome, right? Right. So take a few minutes to think about the good stuff she's contributed to your life. And if you're lucky enough to have a fantastic relationship with your Mom, all the better. Bust out the appreciation and you'll see it come back ten-fold. Promise.
- Grabbing a boring, run-of-the-mill gift. Your mom is so special, and her gift should be too. Show her you've taken some time and care with her present. We've got you covered with our one-of-a-kind jewelry - how about one of our signature gemstone bracelets so she's reminded of you every time she looks down at her wrist? Whatever you end up choosing, make it matter. Make her feel special.
Post how you're making Mother's Day special this year in the comments section below!
February 10, 2014
Strut Jewelry was recently featured in the Ottawa Citizen Style section, both online and in print. This kind of blew my mind!! I was approached in December by a writer from the newspaper, who did an amazing job capturing my creative process and influences (thanks Patrick Smith!!). So thrilled!
December 10, 2013
Wowza! Last Wednesday will go down as one of my favourite days ever. I had a blast chatting with Melissa Lamb from CTV Morning Live Ottawa about my work and my passion - running my little handmade jewelry biz, Strut Jewelry. Thanks to everyone, it was amazing!
November 29, 2013
We were so thrilled to be featured in the winter issue of Ottawa Magazine! Our one-of-a-kind lapis lazuli pendant was featured in the Shop Talk section on the Best Baubles in the city! Check it out, top left. Pick up your copy at various newsstands in the city, or check out the article online.